Welcome to Dental at Campbelltown. We provide exceptional dental care in a warm and friendly environment.
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth feelings are caused by not having enough saliva. Symptoms include a dry, sticky feeling, frequent thirst and split lips and cracks in the corners of the lips.
Dry mouth is a high risk for decay so it is important if you are experiencing dry mouth symptoms to see your dentist regarding preventive measures for both dry mouth and decay.
Your dentist may recommend products to help protect your teeth in a drier environment.
There are many possible causes of dry mouth including: medications, radiation therapy, blocked salivary glands, dehydration, aging causing reduced saliva production, alcohol consumption, smoking, exercising,Sjogrens syndrome, mouth breathing, poorly controlled diabetes; among many others.
Prevention of Dry Mouth
- Frequent drinking of water. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and have a water bottle by the bed for drinking during the night.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Drink caffeine only in moderation as it is a diuretic and leads to fluid loss/ dehydration.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit with a high water content.
- Frequent chewing of xylitol containing gum and /or no sugar gum will stimulate saliva production.
- Use of saliva substitutes – your dentist can advise you of some products available.
- Avoiding alcohol containing mouthwashes – read the label to check.
- Take dentures out at night time.
- Try to breathe through the nose and sleep with mouth closed if possible.
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks.